Logos Bible Software

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Guys & Sports

Competition. A wonderful and complex aspect of a man's life. Why do we feel like we have to beat a person. The fact that guys have some desire in their hearts to either have control over something or to show dominance in some way. It may be in a way of sheer strength or by completely destroying something by persistence. Either way men feel like in our hearts that it matters to others and especially our own self that we look good at everything we attempt. An example is tonight I got an awesome chance to go and play church league softball. Upon arrival with my bud Stevan I was told that I would switch from bench to field so they could see where to put me. Deep inside the male heart that I have I hear the words prove yourself to us that you can actually do anything to help us win or look better. I get psyched up in my head and get serious about warming up to show my so called dedication to this. To top it after warming up I'm told just remember "we are here to just have fun," I politely said yeah sure thing, somewhat sarcastically, knowing they want to destroy this team of fellow Christians as much as I do. It would show our male dominance and usefullness to the great sport of Church Softball.
There are deeper issues here though. It is quite possibly that I'm not that secure in who I am that I feel the need to prove myself to others, especially after just meeting them. It is sad that any man feels that and disappointing that the person we are should come from the relationship we have in Christ and be reassured through the Body of Christ(those fellow believers I desired to leave in my wake). The defects caused by the fall, we have a Hope.

2 comments:

Stevan said...

good stuff - where's the details though?

Phil hit a HUGE double late in the game to keep momentum going for our team!

We later won the game by 15-runs! (4-19)

I won't tell you about Phil's first at-bat (strike out) and his second (ground out)! :)

Jared said...

You speak truth. But where do the answers lie? I loved sports in High school...but then, after my first season of Intramurals in college...I began to hate them. I'll play sports, but can not stand joining any kind of organized ego cult. nef said.